Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Even in the Rain

July 15, 2010

My first day in Helsinki was remarkably exciting.

After being served an amazing breakfast of some of my favorite foods (coffee, strawberries, bread, ham, cheese, vegetables), we left for the day.

First, despite A's general distaste for visiting churches, we stopped at the Helsinki Rock Church, which, without exaggeration, was one of the best pieces of architecture i've seen. Given my lack of descriptive skills, especially when it comes to construction, i'm at somewhat of a loss, but it was a dome built into a rocky hill, with light shining through the top, smelling of mountain and rock, but cool and just bright enough (I believe with only natural light).

Second, we walked to the harbor area, bought fresh strawberries and cherries, and then to a marketplace where we bought fish sandwiches.

Third, we took a ferry boat to Suomenlinna, the former island fortress of Helsinki, sitting outside on the deck. We found a pleasant place to sit, ate the sandwiches, enjoyed the sun, listened to music on a small speaker, drank sparkling wine. By around 4 or so, or at least after we had been theré a while, A's brother and a big group of his friends joined us, with more sparkling wine. While the day had so far been hot, almost uncomfortably so, the wind started, and then a drizzle, and then a rain. I was given a pink rain jacket to wear, but this would not be enough. The group of 10 of us or so ran up the rocks, up a hill and into a clearing where caves were carved into the rock, and although we, our bags, my phone, my camera, and everything was soaked through and through, we spent the next hour or two laughing, listening to music and drinking more of the sparkling wine in these caves. Finally the rain cleared, the sky turned blue again, we stopped at a bar on the island for one last drink and took the ferry back to Helsinki.

Fourth, A and I grabbed a quick dinner (smoked salmon on bread) during which I received a phone call from a partner from work that I had never met, asking about an amazon.com order supposedly made by me. This phone call was very jarring, and reminded me how much stress I had left behind and how much awaits me once this holiday is over.

Fifth, we walked to a karaoke bar where the others were already singing. Highlights included:

1) the guy dressed in white pants, white shirt with a deep v, and a cross, who after turning up on his own, sang a rousing version of a Finnish song.

2) singing ABBA's SOS to a bar of Finnish strangers.

3) Some Finnish songs that I actually really enjoyed, including Pelle Miljoona's new wave classic "Tahdon Rakastella Sinua".

Sixth, we walked to a place called the Granny Tunnel (I'm not sure if this was the official name), but based on the number of women over the age of 60 very much on the prowl, it seemed aptly named. We migrated to a downstairs (not terribly populated) dance club room and I danced in a circle with my new Finnish friends to a bizarre remix of Miami Sound Machine's "The Conga".

The walk back home was much longer than promised (200 meters? I don't think so) and there was no stop for doner kebab on the way.

**Fiery Furnaces -- Even in the Rain

No comments:

Post a Comment