Thursday, July 8, 2010

England is Mine and it Owes Me a Living

July 6, 2010

Because of my late night watching movies, once again my day began late. In fact, I'm not sure I even left the flat until after 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Joe made me "breakfast" at around 11:00 or so -- eggs with salmon and toast -- and we talked about his getting meningitis in India and I spent the next few hours awake writing the first few entries of this blog.

The last time I was in England (2005), I tried to find the dorm at which I stayed during my study abroad, as well as the other locations I regularly frequented, but for some reason was unable to do so. On this day I set out to lay my eyes on those locations once again and wascompletely successful. I found:

1. Ifor Evans Dorm (tried to get in but it was locked).
2. The Sainsbury's where I used to buy candy and port wine.
3. The curry place on Camden Rd. at which I used to eat.
4. The two bars near the Camden Rd. tube station.
5. The Parma Cafe, where I used to get breakfast and tea.
I met Natalia back at the flat at around 7, and we took a trip to South Kensington to drop off a suitcase at a dinner party attended by her mother (who also happened to be in town), as well as a handful of other very sophisticated British ladies. Most of the conversation was way over my head, but I did my very best when the entire table turned to me and asked what was the opinion by the American People of Obama. Or maybe it was that Natalia rescued me halfway through my semi-incoherent answer. Ended up staying until past midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment