Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Saturday In the Park, You'd Think It Was the [Third] of July

July 3, 2010

After my late night, I anticipated waking up late, but instead I woke up at 9:30 a.m., walked down Notting Hill Gate, had breakfast at a Princess Diana themed cafe (egg sandwich, tomatoes and tea) and walked to nearby Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens.

I'm planning on some substantial walking while on this trip, and hopefully some hiking, so saw this day as an opportunity to start getting in shape. I did not plan on walking for 2.5 hours, but it was a perfect day, warm, sunny, all sorts of pretty British people out. Rather than listen to music for most of the time, I listened to one of my few unlistened to Planet Money Podcasts and one of my many unlistened to Podcast Shmodcasts (Peter and Octavius discussing Octavius' wedding and some of the drama taking place of which I had been unaware, and "Gay Tony Hayward" called in to discuss the necessity of plugging up the BP oil spill. I ate a hot dog and a drank a coffee. I got back to the flat at 2 p.m. and my legs felt like jelly.

I watched a bit more soccer/football with Natalia and Joe (Germany vs. Argentina) and took a short walk to Holland Park (inch for inch prettier than Hyde Park, but much smaller). Inadvertently kicked a soccer ball away from a kid who was playing in the park, probably more skillfully than had I been trying.

Took a train to hang out with K and A, drank some wine delivered by the Radisson hotel "wine fairy" and a pizza and annoyed a bar full of people attempting to watch the game. Little did I know that I would create an even more severe disruption at a party the next night.

Chicago -- "Saturday in the Park"

No comments:

Post a Comment