Sunday, July 11, 2010

We Could Walk But We'd Never Get There

July 8, 2010

I decided to spend my first day in Zurich walking the streets of the city center, getting the touristy activities out of the way, including the following (some not touristy):

1. Walked to Le Pain Cotidien on my brother's street for breakfast. I did not know that they were such a popular chain in Europe.

2. The Kunsthaus art museum. First class art, and excellent audiotour! Highlights were the rooms filled with works by Swiss painter Ferdinand Hodler and Swiss (I didn't realize he was Swiss!) sculptor/painter Alberto Giocometti.

3. The Coop supermarket. Not much selection, but I'd never seen a doner kebab station inside the supermarket before.

4. A walk up and down the Limmat River. Despite its green color, it is supposedly clean.

5. Lunch at Zeughauskeller, a sausage restaurant recommended by Lonely Planet. Ate two delicious spicy sausages, potato salad (served hot?) and a few beers, listened to the women next to me speak in German about the World Cup and wrote post cards. Here's what the food looked like (that's a Westlaw pen, by the way):

6. Fraumunster church, featuring stained glass windows by Marc Chagall.

7. St. Peter's Church (featuring Europe's largest clockface). After climbing the 187 steps to the top of the tower, I met two guys from Oregon (one of which had lived for a while in West Hills, near where I grew up) and chit chatted. They told me that the day before they had gone swimming in the river, an idea which at the time I found repulsive. Little did I know that I would be doing just that in less than 24 hours.

8. Sternen Grill, supposedly the best sausage place in Zurich, for yet another sausage (I believe my 4th in about 36 hours?) It lived up to the hype.

I met up with my brother at 7:00 p.m. at his apartment, and despite both being tired, went to Lilly's for Thai food, a small market to supply his new apartment, went back, watched some news on Al-Jazeera English and went to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment