Monday, October 11, 2010

Back in London They'll Take You To Heart After a Little While

October 9, 2010

My last day in Dublin.

Walked down O'Connell Street (main street through the middle of town) and took a look at the Memorial of Light (Spire of Dublin), the worlds largest monument (121 meters). It's a stainless steel tower that replaced a tower destroyed by the IRA in the 1960s. Here's what it looks like from the bottom, looking up:


And here is what it looks like from a short distance:



Neat.

I got lunch at Simon's Place Coffee Shop, which I think has been around for a long time. Wood tables, very casual, doesn't sell soda. I ate an excellent ham sandwich and a juice. And wrote postcards (haven't been keeping up on these as I had planned).

Walked to Trinity College and wandered around the campus. Wouldn't have been a bad place to go to school. Opted not to see the Book of Kells for 9 euro.

Had a second lunch at the Green Hen, a truly exceptional brunch in fact. Eggs, bacon, toast, mushroom, tomatoes.

I had ordered a cab for 4:00 p.m., but it came instead at 3:20 p.m. The girl at duty free laughed at me when I ordered the Haribo Kiddie Pack of jelly candies. I browsed the Lonely Planet California in the airport bookstore to see what locations it recommended in Los Angeles that I knew. I read Exodus. I wasn't at Joe and Natalia's place until around 10:00 p.m.

But as promised, they had people over: Katya, Thomas, Amy, and we ate pasta that rivaled some of the best I've had on the trip, finally finished the arak from Israel, as well as some red wine. Natalia and I told stories of our respective trips to Spain and Ireland. Stayed up talking until 4:30 a.m. but this was really nice.

Elvis Costello -- New Amsterdam

No comments:

Post a Comment