Tuesday, October 12, 2010

They Send Me to Iceland, They Send Me to New York, and If They Have a Problem, They Send Me to Court

October 12, 2010

Mostly a travel day from London to Iceland for the Iceland Airwaves Festival.

My flight from Heathrow to Keflavik with Iceland Air could not have been more better than my Ryan Air flights than it was. Plane left on time, plenty of time to board, arrived 5 minutes early, not a ridiculously long walk to the gate, bought sushi for 10 euro on the plane (not bad!) and watched My Cousin Vinny (fantastic, classic movie) and half of an Icelandic film called Mama Gogo (about Alzheimer´s disease). The Keflavik Airport has signs posted all over the place about what a great airport it is, and while I do find this somewhat annoying, it´s also kinda true, especially compared to the hellhole that is LAX. It´s a fairly pleasant place.

I´d never been to Iceland outside of the summertime until now. Surprisingly, the weather hasn´t been what I would consider extreme. When I landed it was about 50 F and very, very cloudy. So like a bad winter day in LA. We´ll see how the festival nights get.

I took the bus (for the first time since 2005) from the airport to the Reykjavik bus station and then a short cab ride to Disa´s. She had told me that either her sister, or her sister´s boyfriend or her sister´s German friend would be home at the time I arrived, but this was not so. I decided to walk down the street and get a bite to eat, but then I ran into Disa riding a bike from work, getting ready to take her son to basketball camp. Said hi, started to catch up since Laugavegurinn days, met her son, walked him to the basketball camp, watched a bunch of Icelandic 6 year olds play basketball.

Then walked to the store and bought svid (sheep´s head), skyr (Icelandic yoghurt) and juice for the apartment and walked back for dinner. I´d been wanting to try svid for the longest time, but no one ever wanted to have it! I also think now might be the "season" for these types of meets. It was delicious, as well as the fried kidneys and liver that accompanied it. Here´s a picture of the sheep´s head, before it was completely devoured:

I watched part of The Innocents, chatted with Disa after she got back from a meeting, and went to sleep.

The Bodies -- Kick Us Out Of the Country

No comments:

Post a Comment