Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Imperial Bedroom, the Regal Boudoir

October 11, 2010

To be honest, I´m getting really fatigued from writing about every single day in such detail. Between tracking down links for every activity, restaurant, natural location I visited, trying to add some reflection, trying to tone down tone so as to be clearer, and worst of all, navigating the different keyboards, web browsers and speeds of the various computers I´ve used, I´d love to just stop for a bit. But I´m so close to the end (just about a week). But the week ahead is going to be action packed (Iceland Airwaves Festival in Reykjavik), and it is up to me to balance 5 busy days of concert going with reflecting on those days (maybe I´ll just take notes and write it down later).

Let´s keep Monday simple, because after all it was simple:

1. Woke up at Eve and Jesse´s house. Was surprised at how long it took me to get back to Natalia and Joe´s. From Stoke Newington to Notting Hill Gate took me from about 8.30 a.m. to 9.39 a.m. on the train, and thus arrived after both had left for work. I had until 1 p.m. to entertain myself until Joe returned.

2. I bought the new Bret Eastin Ellis novel, Imperial Bedrooms, from Waterstones and read the whole thing (180 pages) at Apostrophe. While I am told it wasn´t so good of a book, I kind of liked it. I drank two large coffees and a sandwich.

3. Returned to the apartment, chatted briefly with Joe, and sat on the computer for a few hours.

4. Did my laundry.

5. Bought food for dinner, Natalia and Joe cooked sausages and potatoes, and we had some red wine.

6. Saw Jonathan Richman perform at the Tabernacle with Joe. Excellent show, as usual. Venue slightly large, and very hot (he claimed not to want to spoil the atmosphere with the sound of air conditioning). Played the new song about Keith Richards, but did oldies like "Pablo Picasso", and "Give Paris One More Chance" and my favorite from the newest album, his cover of Leonard Cohen´s "Here It Is".

7. When we returned, Natalia was attempting to "correct" a translation into English made by a Spanish friend of a Spanish academic work on a Japanese artist. In the form she had received, this translated document made almost no sense. The three of us spent about an hour trying to make sense of it in modern english. We made some decent progress on the first page and had many laughs over this.

Elvis Costello -- Imperial Bedroom

No comments:

Post a Comment