Saturday, October 2, 2010

What Do You Think of London? What Do You Think Of?

October 1, 2010

The theme of the last few days has been internet access problems. I don't feel like going into the details (how boring would that be?) but the bottom line is that I spent the morning walking down Portobello Road trying to find an internet cafe, then taking the tube to Paddington Station, as I had heard there was an internet cafe nearby (there was), and spent the next 4 hours there:

1) booking a flight to Dublin for Sunday.

2) reserving a car for Dublin (I wish I had learned how to drive manual transmission -- over the course of the cars I've rented, I would have saved hundreds of dollars)

3) writing yesterday's not-easy-to-write entry

4) catching up on email.

By 2:30 or so I was done, but with nothing to do.Took the tube to Camden Town and walked around in the rain. Ate some Indian food at the market. Scarved it down at an outdoor table covered by a large plastic roof, shared with a British couple with whom I did not chat.

Tube to Liverpool Street and met Eve, and eventually her other friends and eventually Jesse for drinks at the Hawksmoor. Not cheap, but a very good cocktail bar. Had a Kentucky Mint Julep and a Tobacco Old Fashioned (which I expected to taste horrible, but which was actually delicious).

Then we migrated to the same Vietnamese restaurant Eve and I had visited back in July, but now in a group of 6. Great food, and the tab was picked up (whoo hoo!!!!!!!!) I made the last tube home. The streets were full of teenagers and early 20-something dressed to go out, but I don't understand what they could have been planning on, considering that the tube closed at around 12:30 a.m.

Joe and I watched two episodes of Louie, the new Louie C.K. show, and then a few youtube clips.

Tappi Tikarass -- London

No comments:

Post a Comment