Sunday, August 29, 2010

after all those trains and all those breakdown lanes

August 26, 2010

On Thursday I traveled from San Sebastian, Spain, to Oppede, France (in Provence). The journey involved five trains, a rented car, and approximately 12-13 hours door to door. It was exhausting, but there's little to say about it, except that I spent most of the day passing in and out of sleep on the trains, hoping that I would make my next connections and that I wouldn't have trouble renting a car in Avignon without a reservation. My stomach didn't feel great for most of the day, so I ate very little -- I think I ate a sandwich on one of the trains. While days like these are without a doubt unpleasant, they give the trip some "backpacker" feel, right?

I was very relieved to pull my rented Smart Car (kind of fun to drive actually) into the house in Oppede. For the next few days I would be staying with my cousin (second or third cousin, maybe, I'm not sure what the exact name of the relation is) D's house in Provence, where her sister E (same relation to me, obviously) would also be staying for 2 weeks. Even compared to some of the best places I've stayed, this house is top notch. Pool, fridge full of food (including fresh fruit), my own room and bathroom downstairs, laundry machine AND DRYER!!!!, and great view. I was exhausted upon my arrival so spent the next few hours sitting in front of the computer, eating plums, heated up chicken and soda water. I was very happy to be there.

Magnetic Fields -- "Long Vermont Roads"

No comments:

Post a Comment