Wednesday, August 11, 2010

We Can Reach Our Destination, But We´re Still a Ways Away

August 11, 2010

This day had one purpose: getting from Groningen to Copenhagen, where I am staying for a few days with my dear Icelandic friend Eva. This was accomplished, although it took many hours more than anticipated (anticipated hours = about 9).

I caught my 8:20 a.m. train to Leer. Missing my 9:42 a.m. train to Bremen because i misread my itinerary. Made a 10:42 train to Oldenburg and then an 11:35 a.m. train to Bremen (phew made it to Bremen on time). Ate a currywurst (chopped up sausage with ketchup, with a piece of bread on the side). But then, bad news! my train to Hamburg was delayed 20 minutes, which meant that I would be missing my connecting train to Copenhagen! In Hamburg I changed my reservation at no additional cost, and made my 3:25 p.m. train to Copenhagen.

This train ride was pretty complicated. Once we had to switch trains because the one we were one was broken. Then the train drove onto a ferry, we got off, walked on deck, moved across the sea for about half an hour, and got back on the train (no one told me about this!), and then the rest of the train ride to Copenhagen. On the ride from Hamburg, starting about 2 hours in, I spoke to this English guy Mark, who worked in IT, in Hamburg, traveled all the time for work, and had some good stories about South Africa.

Eva picked me up at the train station at about 8:40 p.m., 2 hours and 40 minutes later than i had planned to arrive, but I was happy to see her, a familiar face, etc. We got hot dogs outside the train station (very different from in Iceland...with pickles, but with a similar remoulade sauce, smaller bun...I like). Because she lives kind of far from city center, we then took a train and two buses to get to her apartment.

Here I am.

R.E.M. -- Driver 8

No comments:

Post a Comment