Tuesday, August 3, 2010

On the Bus, I am Looking Forward

July 30, 2010

I was not pleased to be informed that the bus from þorsmörk to Reykjavik would be leaving at 7:30 a.m., which meant waking up at 6:30 a.m. to pack up the tent, eat breakfast, and attempt to say goodbye to anybody who was up. Even though I knew that the guides have new customers on a weekly or daily basis, I felt sad saying goodbye to the ones who were up, and also sad about the ones I missed entirely.

The bus from þorsmörk to Reykjavik takes a somewhat unusual path through the valley, using all wheel drive to slowly cross glacial rivers and large rocks. I recalled this from my last time visiting, in 2005, but this time being tossed around by the bus´suspension made me feel borderline carsick. We didn´t arrive in Reykjavik until 12:30, and I felt some relief to get some fresh air.

While waiting for Eva to pick me up, I encountered what I believe to have been the drunkest human I have ever seen that was still standing.

Eva arrived with with Mom, and we drove to the Bonus supermarket, I had a hot dog (had been craving one for days), and we bought all the food we would need for our trip to þjoðjatið festival in the Westmann Islands -- cookies, skyr, gouda cheese, lots of orange juice, fanta, flatbread, bloðmor, candy and then to the Vinbuð, to buy a few beers and ciders to compliment the wine and vodka already purchased.

I thought I had more energy than I did at that point, but after dropping by Eva´s cousin´s place to pick up rain pants (I caught my shoelaces in a locked door to everyone´s amusement), and her brother´s place to pick up a lap top computer, I started to get very tired, and when I got back to the house I went to sleep for several hours.

On this day, and on 2 other days in Iceland, I felt that I was mostly alternating between sleeping and eating.

For dinner, Eva´s mom made Icelandic lobster, with garlic butter to put on it. Again, a super, super dinner. But I think that soon afterwards, even though it was Friday night, I said goodbye to everyone and went to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment