Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Ó borg, mín borg, ég lofa ljóst þín stræti

August 2, 2010


Blech. Waking up at 7 a.m. to Eva yelling that we were going to be late and that we couldn't get a taxi to the airport was not fun. Miraculously, some guy in the guest house managed to order us one, I shoved my clothes in a bag, carried some of our (somewhat lighter) baggage out, shoved it in the taxi, made it to the airport on time, checked in, and waited in the lobby.

The girls then mention to me that I should look at who is standing in the same lobby -- Icelandic superstar Pall Oskar! Although I'm usually not one to go up to celebrities in the U.S., I figured that he would mind less a foreigner less, so I spoke to him, told him how much I enjoyed the show, how I had seen him before, and how it was a shame he doesn't play the U.S. And like a dumb tourist, I took a photo with him. The glazed look in my eyes is mostly from exhaustion:







The plane ride was smooth, only about 20 minutes, Eva's father picked us up at the airport, and surprise, I went home and slept until about 4 p.m.

Although I have been to Iceland three times now, at this time I had spent very little time really exploring Reykjavik. There's a number of attractions in the city that I've still either barely seen, or have not seen at all. On this afternoon, we remedied that somewhat. Eva drove me to the market down by the harbor, I bought some licorice candy and dried fish, and a bit of hakarl, which I tasted again. Paul Allen's private ship The Octopus (the world's 3rd largest yacht not owned by a head of state) was in harbor (I had already seen it actually, in the Helsinki harbor), and the town was abuzz over its presence. Checked out the parliament building, the president's house, took the elevator to the top of the Hallgrímskirkja, a really neat church downtown (click on the link for pictures of it and from the top looked at a panorama of the city. And talked about my next trip to Iceland, hopefully to see the Wesfjords.

Had another amazing dinner with the family, this time lamb made by Eva's mom.

Here is a list of the various lamb/sheep foods I have eaten in Iceland:

1. Sheep liver pate.

2. Hangikjot -- Smoked lamb.

3. Lamb soup made by Klememz.

4. Lamb chops bbqed by Dori.

5. Roasted lamb by Rosa.

After dinner, we visited and said goodbye to Silla (and met her mom and dad, both super nice), and Audur and Gummi (watched tv with them for a few hours and talked about the festival).

By the time we got back to the house it was late, and after spending a little bit of time on the internet I was fast asleep.

Haukur Morthens -- Ó borg, mín borg

No comments:

Post a Comment