Tuesday, August 24, 2010

So We Drink Spanish Wine

August 20, 2010

I am told that most of the cava (Spanish sparkling white wine) is made in one town, Sant Sadurni, just a short train ride from Barcelona. It was in this town that most of my Friday was spent. It is a hilly town, and a somewhat steep walk from the train station to the market where we bought ham, cheese, foie gras (I have been eating more of this in the last few weeks than most normal years of my life), sparkling water, and then a bit more walking to the winery where we would be purchasing and then drinking this famous cava.

And it was quite fine indeed. The people who owned the winery had two very small children who ran around in circles playing, and who seemed very sweet, until they started yelling at us. The cava was quite delicious and refreshing, almost too much so -- on a hot day it is hard to stop.

The train ride back was sleepy, understandably, and followed by going out to dinner in Barcelona (sadly can´t remember the name of the place, as it was good). We shared a huge plate of snails, and my entree was this big iron bowl of heavy, but delicious soup that I was tragically and uncharacteristically not able to finish, due to being stuffed to point of bursting with food and wine.

Lloyd Cole -- Why I Love Country Music

No comments:

Post a Comment