Sunday, September 5, 2010

In a Town This Size, There is No Place to Hide, Everywhere You Go, You Meet Someone You Know

September 2, 2010

As mentioned, between the 5 towns on Cinqueterre are twisty, sometimes steep paths, that cut through the national park, foreign hikers hiking throughout. I completed 3/4 of the four connecting paths on my last journey, but for reasons I won't get into, aborted the last prematurely. On this day in September of 2010 (everybody on facebook was exploding with the news that the date was 90210), I wanted to complete the entire trail, and this I did.

I woke up at around 9:00 a.m., not so surprising considering the early hour at which I went to sleep, and spent about 45 minutes packing and repacking myself to leave the dorm. I think I must have locked and unlocked my suitcase about 9 times before I finally decided on the precise items I would need for the hike, which consisted of : 1) blood tester (without case), 2) 5 packets of high energy sugar syrup, 3) keys to the room, 4) Blackberry, 5) iPod, 6) pink water bottle from Thjodhatid. Like last time, I decided to begin the hike at Monterrossa, the northernmost town (I was at the southernmost) and hike in the direction of home. Unfortunately, the first train to Monterrossa was not until 11:40 a.m., so I had some quality music listening time in preparation.


The hike itself was a pleasure. Given my reduced energy levels as of late, I told myself that I had no obligation to run up and down the stairs as I had last time, and that this time my goal was to take a slow and steady pace, but with few breaks. This goal was easily accomplished. The leg from Monterrossa from Vernazza, by far the most difficult of the four, was challenging, but no problem. Walked up and down through vineyards, was rarely passed, but also did not exhaust myself. Was feeling lively for the first time in a while actually, sweating, but happy. Stopped in Vernazza for a pizza and water, in Corniglia for gelato and Manorola to stare at the sea and the rocks from which I jumped 5 years ago (but no longer had the courage to explore).


I was back in Riomaggiore before 5:00 p.m., took a shower in the empty dorm (everybody but the two religious girls in my room had left), and ventured back out to Bar Centrale to eat dinner (spaghetti -- SOOO good!) and a few drinks. I had been worried about my ability to socialize with strangers, based on the last 2 months, but found that after a few hours of hanging out by myself, I was socializing with a crowd of Americans, and even some Italian locals, laughing, having a blast. Great day in every way, and in a funny way redeemed some of the slightly discouraging experiences of the past. Food tasted good, I could stomach wine again, people were friendly, the sky and the sea were beautiful. I came back to Cinqueterre hoping to get those feeling back, and I did.

John Prine -- In a Town This Size

No comments:

Post a Comment