Thursday, September 9, 2010

Perhaps a Bottle of Rose Instead

September 6, 2010

By one p.m. we were eating breakfast again in the same Yellow Bar/Cafe place, this time I was devouring a pizza along with my bottle of sparkling water. I was lamenting the fact that I had planned to leave that same day at 3 p.m. for Zurich, but just wasn't ready to do so, after having had such a good time in Florence. But after we discussed it, we realized that I could, in fact, stay another day. Sometimes I forget that I have this flexibility. So, yeah, another night it would be.

But what did we do after this lunch? I can't remember much. I got a smoothie (yes, a smoothie after the pizza -- I've lost some weight so this is actually a good thing), and we went to an American book store (more like a text book store) where I got yelled at by the lady working there for drinking a smoothie inside. Well la ti da! After looking through all of their novels, and not finding what I was looking for, I settled for The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (which so far, I am loving, so I'm glad I picked it up).

I think after the book store we went back to the apartment and took naps, if that is even possible. How lazy am I!

We woke up somewhere around 5, and rushed to catch a bus to Fiesole, an old Etruscan town on a hill about a mile outside Florence, with great views of the city (maybe even better than from the Campanile!). We felt a little pathetic that we didn't arrive at our first tourist site of the day until well after 6, but hey, we are on vacation and have plenty of time, right?

We walked up to a great height up a steep hill (a couple had chosen the same spot to rest after a romantic Vespa ride up) and looked down at Florence and talked about how pretty it all was. And they told me a story about when they went to Ibiza on their bar trips, that I won't repeat here.

By 7, there wasn't much left to do except eat dinner, so we climbed yet another super steep hill to Ristorante La Reggia Degli Etruschi. I once again proved that I am an extremely competent orderer, by ordering the best food we had (the girls didn't love their entrees, but everyone agreed that the homemade spaghetti I had was amazing, as well as the bottle of Rose wine). The view down the mountain was great, the laughs at the table were hearty, and I actually enjoyed the bites I had of the others' meals. How funny was it to be sitting with these three, that I hardly knew before the trip, feeling like old friends?

Since we had had such success going out on Sunday night in Florence, we were of the belief that Monday night would be just as successful. Unfortunately, that was not so. Although we had fun drinking wine in the apartment beforehand, the streets were mostly empty, even in the spots that had been busy on Sunday. We stopped briefly in Slowly (but there was no one there), as well as a few other spots, same result. We did briefly spot the unattractive American girl from the night before, but unwisely decided not to follow her to wherever she was going (she seemed to have a nose for the place to go). I can't remember the name of the bar we ended up sitting at, which was fine, although nothing terribly exciting happened. We came back slightly disappointed, but then L and I chit chatted until about 6:30 a.m. like a couple of college students.

No comments:

Post a Comment