Sunday, September 19, 2010

You Had Best Stay At Home, Sir

September 17, 2010

I'm still surprised when I speak to people back home about my trip, they sometimes mention how I'm "wearing myself out" and how traveling is "exhausting." It is true, traveling can be very much exhausting -- my last trip was. Then, I walked about 5-10 miles a day, spent most of the rest of the time on my feet, was up most mornings at 7:30 a.m. ready to see the sights and was in bed most nights at midnight or 1 a.m. During that time, sometimes I would need to take naps of 1-3 hours to refresh myself.

But this trip? With the exception of a handful of days where I went hiking (relatively short hikes, no less), I've been taking things VERY easy. For instance, Friday -- following a day during which I really didn't do all that much, I spent the entire day in my brother's apartment until about 9 p.m. I did step out for about 45 minutes to get lunch at Le Pain Quotidien, but besides that I spent the entire day in, sleeping, reading a little, answering emails, researching Israel, finding a place to stay in Tel-Aviv, transcribing the suggestions I received into my notebook. Nothing too exhausting there.

After my brother returned home though, we did go out for Friday night. His friend picked us up downstairs, and we headed to Terrasse, a fancy bar not so far from the river, packed with well dressed and attractive people, sipping what were probably fancy drinks (my vodka tonic didn't taste very fancy). Really nice place, if I ever go back to Zurich, I wouldn't mind returning.
We then walked to Amber, a less fancy, but more "clubby" type of place, near the train station. Not exactly my scene (although I suppose this misleadingly implies that Terrasse was!) but a reasonably good time. Met a girl working there (not exactly sure what her role was -- seemed to be to look generally good, dance and socialize, but not too much with any one person) who had just spent a month living in West Hollywood, on Hayvenhurst no less!

My brother's friend and I ended up driving around until after 5, looking for two after hours places we were recommended. I think we found them, but they appeared to be closed by the time we got there.

Modern Lovers -- Dodge Veg-O-Matic

No comments:

Post a Comment