Friday, September 3, 2010

Yes, Something Happened to Him in the War, They Said, Over in France, and France had Become Something They Never Mentioned

August 30, 2010

Felt better on Monday than I had in a while, but still was not up for braving the mistral winds and joining E and D on a bikeride. Although I still spent a good part of the day indoors, enjoying the computer, listening to Planet Money podcasts, catching up on politics, and music, in the afternoon, I joined E and D for a drive to Fontaine de Vaucluse, a small village in Provence, built around a spring, which I read is the strongest spring in France and the 5th strongest in the world. The village (like many in Provence) seems to have transferred any of its previous function to tourism (gelato, post cards, gifts, crepes, etc.) but this was fine. It was surrounded by high cliffs, and a clear, clear, river runs through it. I explored the town, gazed with amazement at the clear water (i had never seen anything like it, for real) and ate a delicious crepe (which for reasons unexplained and inexplicable raised my blood sugar for many hours).

Back at the house, E, D and I had a nice long talk about life, and all the things that go along with it (vague, right? but if still reading, you are used to it by now) , and prepared for my exit the next day. It was a shame that my energy only really came back by the time I was leaving, but if there was a good place to get rest, it was this house in Provence. E and D (and R) were great hosts, and I was sorry to say goodbye.

As usual, on the night before an early departure, I was very nervous about oversleeping.

Laurie Anderson -- Another Day In America

No comments:

Post a Comment